Population served: All Canadians in need of blood or blood products, including stem cells
Other language(s) : FrenchMission:
To manage the blood and blood products supply for Canadians; is a not-for-profit, charitable organization.
- Collects approximately 850,000 units of blood annually and processes it into the components and products that are administered to thousands of patients each year
- Manages the OneMatch Stem Cell and Marrow Network whose mission is to secure, in an expeditious way, donors for Canadian bone marrow transplant patients and for patients abroad
- Screens every donor and tests each unit of blood or blood product collected for a variety of transmissible diseases. Ensures that Canadian transfusion medicine research and development remains at the cutting edge.
- Committed to blood safety, effective screening and testing processes.
Population served: Patients, caregivers, health professionals
To investigate cord blood as a possible solution to a critical public health need: finding appropriate hematopoietic transplants for patients who have no matched bone marrow donors.
- Makes cord blood available under an Investigational New Drug (IND) exemption from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for children and adults who face a life-threatening illness and need "stem cell" transplants from unrelated donors
- Collects, processes, tests and stores cord blood that mothers donate for use by patients in need
- Website provides accurate and timely information about cord blood transplants.
Population served: Patients in need of bone marrow and/or umbilical cord blood transplants, worldwide
Provides assistance to people in need of a bone marrow/umbilical cord blood transplants; and is dedicated to creating an opportunity for all patients to receive a transplant when they need it. NMDP operates the Be The Match Registry®, the world’s largest listing of potential marrow donors and donated cord blood units.
- Be The Match Foundation Patient Assistance Program, for patients who pursue a transplant through Be The Match®, may be eligible for financial aid programs to help pay for the cost of a donor search and for some post-transplant expenses
- Provides an extensive collection of education materials, webcast presentations
- Be The Match Patient Services has a team dedicated to helping you learn about marrow and cord blood transplant as a treatment option, the overall transplant process, and what to expect after transplant
- Peer Connect Program puts a patient/caregiver in touch with one of NMDP’s trained volunteers — who are transplant recipients and caregivers — to answer questions and share their own transplant experiences.
- The Caregiver's Companion Program- combines a useful toolkit with the personalized, confidential support of a caregiver coach who understands transplant and the caregiver role.
- Receive a toolkit that includes the Caregiver’s Companion book with tips, ideas and stories from other caregivers
- Be paired with a trained Be The Match® coach who will work with your schedule to find a time that’s best for you to talk by telephone.