Invest in Finding Cures
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada (LLSC) is the largest voluntary cancer research agency specifically focused on finding cures and better treatments for blood cancer patients. With the scope and scale to fund many projects at the same time, LLSC supports hundreds of cancer scientists around Canada.
Research Depends on You
Unlike commercial enterprises that consider blood cancers as "orphan diseases" with small markets and limited profit potential, LLSC funds research based on medical need without regard to commercial return or market size. Every dollar invested comes from charitable support from concerned donors.
Extend Your Reach
LLSC provides grants to Canadian researchers investigating innovative treatments and cures for blood cancer. Since LLSC has no campus or laboratories to maintain, your investment funds more research and less overhead than a donation made elsewhere.
Why Invest Now?
Many scientists, clinicians and clinical trial participants have developed and improved current standards of care over time. It takes about eight years to develop a successful new drug. The time to invest in new therapies is now.
What Will My Donation Do?
- Encourage scientists to pursue blood cancer research. Grants to young scientists help grow research talent even as federal research funding becomes increasingly limited.
- Develop "targeted therapies" that kill cancer cells selectively. By hitting specific molecular targets, these treatments don't harm patients' healthy cells, resulting in fewer dangerous side effects.
- Test immunotherapies. Immunotherapies strengthen a patient's own immune system so it can better fight infections and attack cancer cells, reducing the need for damaging chemotherapy.
- Improve the safety of today's cures. LLSC funds research to predict, manage and prevent complications in patients most at risk for long-term and late effects of treatment.
- Help patients and their families make informed decisions. LLSC supplies information and counseling to help guide patients through their cancer journey and access current treatment and clinical trial options.
- Offer community services. Among the wide array of programs LLSC provides are those that link newly diagnosed patients with trained volunteers and that help young cancer patients return to school after an absence resulting from treatment.
- Encourage our provincial, territorial and federal legislators to support blood cancer issues. With your help, LLSC brings to the attention of lawmakers the urgent need for increased government funding and support of research and patient access to affordable treatment and quality care.
Make a Difference!
You can make a difference in so many ways. Choose an option that works best for you: