2-1-1 is the telephone number of a call center that offers information and provides referrals to health and human services for everyday needs and in times of crisis. Services vary from community to community.
Examples of service referrals include:
- Health services and support
- Financial and social assistance
- Housing and utility help
- Food assistance and meal programs
- Senior services and home care
- Government program assistance
- Parenting and family programs
- Disability support services
- Volunteer organizations
- Newcomer services
- Mental health support
Population served: Jewish children (infancy through age 21) worldwide, diagnosed with a life-threatening illness as well as those who have serious chronic or genetic conditions
Chai Lifeline meets the nonmedical needs of seriously ill children, their families and communities. Its mission is to enhance lives through programs and services.
- Offers Camp Simcha - a sleep-away camp for children with cancer and other hematological illnesses
- Offers Camp Simcha Special - designed to meet the medical and social needs of children with more than 60 diagnoses
Population served: Children under age 18 with a life-threatening illness, worldwide
CWFI fulfils wishes for children and unlike other wish-granting organizations, does not have a minimum age. However, if the child's health allows it, the wish fulfilment is reserved until the child is old enough to fully enjoy and remember the experience.
- Offers Wish Fulfillment Program, which provides a trip to a destination of the patient's choice and includes travel arrangements, lodging, entertainment tickets, expense money and volunteer support
- Offers the Family Focus Program, which provides a memorable evening out. CWFI offers gift cards and certificates for families to enjoy a special dinner together or a trip to a local family entertainment center, theatre tickets or entrance to sporting events, a circus, etc. In addition, CWFI arranges for weekend getaways
- Offers Hospital Enrichment Program, which places educational and entertainment materials in hospitals that care for children (toys, books, electronics, dolls and children's clothing). In addition, CWFI hosts festive parties at many hospitals
- Offers Young Minds Program for children under age 3 or whose cognitive level is under age 3. This program can offer:
- TV with DVD player and DVD collection
- CD player with music collection
- Toy and doll collection
- Comfort station with rocker
- Activity assortment
Population served: Women with cancer
Provide housecleaning for women currently being treated for cancer. Partner with maid services to offer professional house cleanings to help women undergoing treatment for cancer.
Population served: Children with life-threatening medical conditions in Canada between the ages of 3 and 18 years
Other language(s) : FrenchMission:
To grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.
- Grants magical wishes to children in need from coast-to-coast
- Referrals can come from family, friends, medical personnel, teachers or social workers
- Immediate family may be included in the wish experience
- The child’s doctor will be contacted for authorization that the child meets the medical criteria for a wish
- The child cannot have received a prior wish from any wish-granting organization.
Population served: Children and teens with chronic or life-threatening medical conditions in the U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, Israel, Australia, New Zealand; teens ages 13-20 with medical issues worldwide and their teen siblings
Partners with experts to create programs that help brighten the lives of seriously ill children and their families.
- Starbright World is an online social network for teens with chronic and life-threatening medical conditions, and their teen siblings.
- Partner facilities offer in-hospital programs such as parties and entertainment
- Check with your child’s treatment center to see if a Starlight Comfort Kit is available (backpack filled with toys, games, books).