Disclaimer: These resources are regularly reviewed to ensure that links still work correctly and the resources listed continue to be helpful to our visitors. If you find that a link isn't working or information is incorrect or if you'd like to have your own organization listed here, please email email@example.com.
Because we want to be sure that our visitors find the most relevant resources, we've listed these organizations in order of relevancy from most specifically relevant to most generally relevant to the topic of this page.
Cancer View Canada
Population served: Canadians affected by cancer
Cancer View Canada connects Canadians to online services, information and resources for cancer control. It is an ever-evolving portal that brings together resources for cancer prevention, screening, treatment, and supportive, palliative and end-of-life care.
Through its collaborative tools, Cancer View Canada also links people in the Canadian cancer community to each other.
Population served: Everyone in Canada
2-1-1 is the telephone number of a call center that offers information and provides referrals to health and human services for everyday needs and in times of crisis. Services vary from community to community.
Examples of service referrals include:
- Basic human need resources: food banks, clothing, shelters, rent assistance and utility assistance
- Physical and mental health resources: medical information lines, crisis intervention services, counseling, drug and alcohol intervention
- Employment support: unemployment benefits, financial assistance, job training, transportation assistance and education programs
- Support for older Americans and persons with disabilities: home healthcare, adult daycare, congregate meals, Meals on Wheels, respite care, transportation and homemaker services
- Support for children, youth and families: childcare, family resource centers, summer camps and recreation programs, mentoring, tutoring and protective services
Population served: Patients and caregivers in Canada
Service Canada was created in 2005 to improve the delivery of government programs and services to Canadians, by making access to them faster, easier, and more convenient.
Service Canada offers single-window access to a wide range of Government of Canada programs and services for citizens through more than 600 points of service located across the country, call centres, and the Internet.
Contact: (877) 499-9904
Population served: Cancer patients, caregivers and healthcare professionals
The Wellspring Cancer Support Center is a network of community-based centers that provide people with the tools they need to cope with cancer.
- Offers one-to-one peer support, support groups, individual counseling, bereavement groups, gay and lesbian support groups and information sessions on coping skills
- Provides programs for patients and caregivers including yoga, discussion series, relaxation and clubs that meet at certain centers (e.g. knitting, quilting, or cooking)
- Programs are free of charge and can be found at multiple locations across the country (some centers are more comprehensive than others)
- Provides support programs for healthcare professionals
Lotsa Helping Hands
Population served: Caregivers worldwide
Lotsa Helping Hands can help to easily organize family members, friends and others during times of medical crisis, family caregiver exhaustion or when caring for an aging loved one.
- Provides free web-based services to create a website which allows a coordinator to list tasks that will help a patient and lets volunteers in the community sign up for those tasks
- Provides an online calendar which allows for communication between the volunteers and the patient or family
- Provides a variety of ways to customize the website
Contact: (651) 789-2300
Population served: Caregivers and patients worldwide
CaringBridge is a web service that connects family and friends during a critical illness, treatment or recovery. A CaringBridge website is personal, private and available 24/7. It helps keep family and friends informed.
- Provides free personalized websites with a three-step process to join
- Offers a patient care journal, guestbook, photo gallery and free online support with each page created
Cancer Support Community
(Formerly known as Gilda's Club Worldwide)
Contact: (888) 445-3248
Population served: Patients diagnosed with cancer, their friends and families in the United States and Canada
Cancer Support Community offers an emotional and social support community to people with cancer, their families and friends through a network of affiliated clubhouses.
- Provides support and networking groups
- Offers lectures and workshops on a variety of topics
- Provides social activities such as potluck suppers, comedy nights and holiday celebrations
Contact: (866) 753-0303
Population served: Cancer patients, families and caregivers
Cancer Recovery Foundation of Canada focuses on patient services and direct care to families affected by cancer.
- Provides Children's Project, a program for children ages 7-18, who can receive a camp scholarship
- Offers Family Emergency Service to help with utilities, rent and/or telephone bills
- Offers a "Bearable" gift bag providing activities for pediatric patients with cancer
- Provides adult services including tote bags filled with information/supportive materials regarding cancer and information about the Family Emergency Service program
- Provides weekly telephone support groups for patients and caregivers
- Provides supportive information to help survivors and an e-Store with inspirational books for purchase
The Patient/Partner Project
Contact: (800) 366-2347
Population served: Patients with cancer and their caregivers, worldwide
The Patient/Partner Project is a multifaceted, long-term program focused on helping cancer patients by helping their partners.
- Offers a Web-based tool where patients and caregivers post private updates about the patient's treatment and condition. The members on the private patient/caregiver list are alerted to the update
- Provides a "mini-course" on coping with a serious illness via a series of emails automatically sent at regular intervals
- Produces a monthly eNewsletter