2-1-1 is the telephone number of a call center that offers information and provides referrals to health and human services for everyday needs and in times of crisis. Services vary from community to community.
Examples of service referrals include:
- Health services and support
- Financial and social assistance
- Housing and utility help
- Food assistance and meal programs
- Senior services and home care
- Government program assistance
- Parenting and family programs
- Disability support services
- Volunteer organizations
- Newcomer services
- Mental health support
Population served: Cancer patients and caregivers in Canada
Other language(s) : French, Spanish, Chinese, Punjabi. They also have fact sheets available in Cree, Hindi, Italian, Ojibwe, Oji-Cree, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Tamil, Tagalog, Ukrainian and Urdu.Mission:
The eradication of cancer and the enhancement of the quality of life of people living with cancer in Canada; is a national community-based organization of volunteers. Programs vary by location although cancer information and support services are available Canada-wide.
- Provides information about cancer and its treatment
- Limited, short-term assistance towards cancer-related transportation, at times through a volunteer driver program
- Limited, short-term assistance for accommodation expenses, and/or accommodation at a Canadian Cancer Society lodge
- In some provinces/territories, partnerships may be able to assist with access to symptom management drugs
- CancerConnection connects people living with cancer and caregivers with trained volunteers who offer encouragement and share ideas for coping – all from their unique perspective as someone who’s been there
- The online community, CancerConnection.ca, helps people who have cancer, cancer survivors and caregivers share their experiences and build supportive relationships
- Community Services Locator is a searchable database of over 4,000 cancer-related services and resources Canada-wide.
Population served: Canadians affected by cancer
Cancer View Canada connects Canadians to online services, information and resources for cancer control. It is an ever-evolving portal that brings together resources for cancer prevention, screening, treatment, and supportive, palliative and end-of-life care.
Through its collaborative tools, Cancer View Canada also links people in the Canadian cancer community to each other.
Population served: Jewish children (infancy through age 21) worldwide, diagnosed with a life-threatening illness as well as those who have serious chronic or genetic conditions
Chai Lifeline meets the nonmedical needs of seriously ill children, their families and communities. Its mission is to enhance lives through programs and services.
- Offers Camp Simcha - a sleep-away camp for children with cancer and other hematological illnesses
- Offers Camp Simcha Special - designed to meet the medical and social needs of children with more than 60 diagnoses
Population served: Children with cancer and their families, caregivers, survivors, health professionals
To improve the quality of life for children with cancer and their families worldwide.
- Pediatric Oncology Program (POP) provides financial and emotional support to families throughout the United States during their child’s cancer treatment. Financial assistance for lodging, meals, transportation, health insurance and medical expenses not covered by insurance. (See website for specific financial eligibility criteria.)
- The "Beyond the Cure" Survivorship Program (BTC) provides the most up-to-date information on survivorship to help survivors and their families adapt and celebrate life after diagnosis
- Online community provides a private network for parents, caregivers and survivors of childhood cancer to connect, share and offer support to one another
- Provides resources to healthcare professionals involved in the treatment of childhood cancer and the many challenges associated with survivorship.
- Global Outreach Program partners with pharmaceutical companies to distribute donated cancer treatment drugs and medical supplies around the world.